Fordyce Spots Support Forum

Full Version: 6 years of having fordyce spots [Treatments that worked and that did not]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've been regularly reading this forum for a long time. Today I decided to join and and share with you the things I've tried to get rid of or at least to conceal the appearance of the fordyce spots on my lips.

I was on oral isotretinoin for 2 times. The first one was doctor-prescribed 6 month course. I took, if I'm not mistaken, 40 mg per day for that duration.

It worked wonders during the treatment but the spots came back 1 month after the treatment ended.

Last year I decided to try the low dose approach, 10 mg every other day. It also worked, although not as effective as 40 mg. It dried out the lips, the glands became smaller and when my lip wasn't wet, the spots were invisible. But now summer came and side effects like, thinning of the skin, visible veins are making it harder for me to continue the treatment.

Other things that I've tried are cryotherapy, lip tattoo and tretinoin cream 0.01.

Cryotherapy; it is a pretty risky thing, and it doesn't not worth it. It scars and the spots come back.
Lip tattoo; not effective.
Tretinoin cream; it doesn't affect the deeper layers of the skin and peels the exterior layers which makes the spots much more visible. Though, in winters it makes the lips flaked and thus provides a kind-of-solution.

I'm still looking for a gel/cream that affects the deeper layers and dries out, or even flakes the lip. For me that is the cure as there is no permanent solution at this time. If you've tried a thing that dries out the lips even in summers, please do share.

Have a good day!
Hey philosopher, Thanks so much for providing us with this write up. I've been too scared to try any serious treatments like accutane or laser surgery but I have tried numerous home remedies like apple cider vinegar, exfoliation, acne creams, and anti fungal creams with no success. Lately I have been heavily considering "permanent make up" which is pretty much the same thing as a lip tattoo. So what made the lip tattoo as you say ineffective, did the lip not take the color well or did it just not last long?
(05-21-2016 10:35 PM)thesespotsuck Wrote: [ -> ]Hey philosopher, Thanks so much for providing us with this write up. I've been too scared to try any serious treatments like accutane or laser surgery but I have tried numerous home remedies like apple cider vinegar, exfoliation, acne creams, and anti fungal creams with no success. Lately I have been heavily considering "permanent make up" which is pretty much the same thing as a lip tattoo. So what made the lip tattoo as you say ineffective, did the lip not take the color well or did it just not last long?

It stayed for only 3 days, then faded away. On the fourth day, we tried again and it was a failure too. There are many factors that can affect its success. People are different. Maybe it can work for you.
So oral isotretinoin can be an effective treatment? I too was wondering about the cosmetic tattoo, any idea of a price?
Seems like a cosmetic tattoo runs around $300-400. Has anyone done any research on them? As for as oral isotretinoin, I've read that it works very well but them the spots come back after a couple months
Reference URL's