Fordyce Spots Support Forum

Full Version: My progressive treatment for Fordyce Spots on my lips (with pictures)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone,

I joined this forum to share my experiences and current treatment for fordyce spots on my lips.

These spots have been slowly encroaching on my lips for years. Initially, they were on the vermilion of my lips but later started spreading onto the lips itself. I'm sure everyone on this forum would understand how self-conscious one would be with this condition.

In reality, I doubt too many people noticed the spots but my own mind blew the issue of the spots out of proportion. It was a minor cosmetic imperfection at most, but I just couldn't stop focusing on it. The spots were so overwhelming that they even distracted me from dwelling on my receding hairline!

It took me a year to finally work up the nerve to risk any type of medical procedure to try to solve this issue. To be honest, I'd almost literally tried every home remedy which I found by Internet research. I even tried to pop one with a needle which only inflamed the sebaceous gland to enlarge it even further.

Ultimately, I couldn't stand the spots any longer and made the decision to see a dermatologist to see what my options were. Having read up on the possible remedies, I knew the solution was either going to be through a laser (wasn't sure which as there are so many types of lasers) or hyfrecator procedure.

Listed below are pictures of my lips with the spots and details of the hyfrecator procedure.
I'm the poster of this thread, yet I can't see the pictures I'd placed on this thread. Can anyone else on this forum see the pictures? Let me know.
(01-06-2012 05:52 AM)jt_royale Wrote: [ -> ]I'm the poster of this thread, yet I can't see the pictures I'd placed on this thread. Can anyone else on this forum see the pictures? Let me know.

No I can't see any, are you using a photo hosting service or general attachments?
(01-06-2012 09:37 AM)Administrator Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2012 05:52 AM)jt_royale Wrote: [ -> ]I'm the poster of this thread, yet I can't see the pictures I'd placed on this thread. Can anyone else on this forum see the pictures? Let me know.

No I can't see any, are you using a photo hosting service or general attachments?

I'm using general attachments, but the pictures aren't showing. I've already made two attempts to attach the pictures. Perhaps it's a file size issue that's preventing the attachments from appearing.

I'll try to use a photo hosting service.

1st Procedure - Trial run using Hyfrecator - 6 spots were zapped away

https://picasaweb.google.com/11820805388...directlink
2nd Procedure - nearly 2 dozen were zapped away

3rd Procedure

4th Procedure

Final results - 3 days after 4th procedure

UPDATE (2/10/12): Some of the spots are re-appearing. They're tiny, but slightly visible. :/
Great post, they look a lot better after the procedure.
Thanks for sharing the photos. These were really helpful! And a lot of props to you for doing so many procedures. I tried the electrodessicator on ONLY two small spots on my lips as trial and I thought I was going to die of humiliation from how horrible the scabs looked.

I had two very different results for each spot. One spot (towards the middle of the lip) was partly diminished and crater formed around it so the spot shrunk and was enveloped in the crater making it difficult to be visible (which was good), and the other small spot closer to the border of the lip did not disappear and was not affected at all and so it is still very visible.

After 5 months, the spot that was partly diminished is starting to reappear, which the dermatalogist said might happen b/c the electrodessicator does not completely destroy the gland. I will most likely need to do another procedure this month. I'm debating whether to try the dessicator on bigger and more prominent clusters, closer to the border of my upper lip.

Anyway, I'm curious how the rest of your spots look now since you completed all of your procedures...could you share your experience?

As a side note, I tried the V-beam laser, which I've read everywhere some people found relief in it. The V-beam laser treatment DID NOT diminish the spots at all. I had the laser done on the top border and side border of my lips where most of the spots are. As a result, the coloring on my upper lip disappeared, so I kind of look like a freak of nature. The spots are not as visible as before b/c there's not coloring on my upper lip, however, when my lips are dry and my lips turn red the spots are very visible so my upper lip looks like it has three different shades. Anyway I thought I'd share this experience.
[/size][/font]
Thanks for sharing the photos. These were really helpful! And a lot of props to you for doing so many procedures. I tried the electrodessicator on ONLY two small spots on my lips as trial and I thought I was going to die of humiliation from how horrible the scabs looked.

I had two very different results for each spot. One spot (towards the middle of the lip) was partly diminished and crater formed around it so the spot shrunk and was enveloped in the crater making it difficult to be visible (which was good), and the other small spot closer to the border of the lip did not disappear and was not affected at all and so it is still very visible.

After 5 months, the spot that was partly diminished is starting to reappear, which the dermatalogist said might happen b/c the electrodessicator does not completely destroy the gland. I will most likely need to do another procedure this month. I'm debating whether to try the dessicator on bigger and more prominent clusters, closer to the border of my upper lip.

Anyway, I'm curious how the rest of your spots look now since you completed all of your procedures...could you share your experience?

As a side note, I tried the V-beam laser, which I've read everywhere some people found relief in it. The V-beam laser treatment DID NOT diminish the spots at all. I had the laser done on the top border and side border of my lips where most of the spots are. As a result, the coloring on my upper lip disappeared, so I kind of look like a freak of nature. The spots are not as visible as before b/c there's not coloring on my upper lip, however, when my lips are dry and my lips turn red the spots are very visible so my upper lip looks like it has three different shades. Anyway I thought I'd share this experience.
[/size][/font]
@scot - I wholeheartedly agree. Big Grin

@blue328 - Don't be embarrassed by the scabs. Most people didn't even notice or were too polite to ask about the minor scabs on my lips. And when asked, I just honestly told them that I'd a procedure done and most people left it at that.

As for the hyfrecator (electrodessicator), I wholeheartedly recommend it. There are downsides such as swelling, redness, dryness, irritation, scabs, and possible scarring (depends on your ethnicity). But the results were very good in my situation where I'd clusters of mixed large and small glands. The large glands were easy to remove, but the tiny glands were very stubborn because they weren't easy to zap away. Especially during the procedures when your lips start swelling up and the tiny glands are not as visible due to the swelling.

I actually went in for a touch up today (2/23/12) with the hyfrecator since some small glands started re-emerging on the corners of my lips after 4 weeks from my final procedure. The doctor initially told me that the body might produce more glands or heal the destroyed glands. There's nothing I can do but do touch-ups every so often to remove these new glands. :/

I'm sorry to hear about your laser experience. It sounds like it didn't help at all.

My dermatologist was actually concurrently treating two patients (a female asian patient and myself, also of asian descent) for fordyce spots. The female asian patient opted for the pulse dye laser due to fears of scarring and I chose the hyfrecator. My decision was mainly based on price and the recommendation of my dermatologist who told me that lasers weren't very effective for lips. He explained that lasers operated on the principles of color/light and that lip colors could not easily absorb the light/color generated by the lasers.

He relay to me that the female patient was not happy with her pulse dye laser results.

As for my upper lip, I feel that its appearance has greatly improved. Since the glands were removed, the areas where I'd the procedures done often feel drier than usual and I've to apply lip balm daily. Also, the area feels extra sensitive & the skin feels a bit tighter. These symptoms are getting better though. I believe that the skin needs a few months to fully heal.

Aesthetically, my lips look much better IMHO than before. The vast majority of the spots were removed. I knowingly chose to have multiple procedures because I wanted to ease into the hyfrecator. Basically, the hyfrecator needle creates a small cut using electricity. It hurts like the dickens even with numbing cream. My eyes teared up on every visit due to the sting of the electrical shock, but after a while I got used to the stinging sensation caused by the hydrecator. And the slight smell of burnt flesh is off-putting too. Trust me on that.

However, my confidence is higher too now that I'm not longer insecure about my lips. Overall, I'm glad I overcame my fears of seeing a doctor and having a procedure done. If you're located in NYC and suffering from fordyce spots on the lips, I highly recommend my dermatologist. He's a good doctor who explained the risks associated with the procedure and patiently zapped away at all the areas and spots that I'd brought to his attention. Below is his ZocDoc profile:

http://www.zocdoc.com/doctor/eric-huang-...&adpos=1t1

I'm giving him a plug on this forum because he's a competent doctor with a warm bedside manner.
Hi jtroyale -thanks so much for your reply!! I've made an appointment with the dermatologist that performed the hyfrecator on me 6 months ago and am going to try it on the cluster that is most visible; but they are a lot of small spots clustered together so I'm fearing that it will be difficult to target them and I'm hoping they won't scar if it ends up not working at all.

I went to see another derma and he said one option was to cut and burn the glands but he's only done that on bigger spots on someone's face, not lips, so he advised against doing that kind of procedure on my lip.

Anyhow, like I said I'm going back to the derma that performed the hyfrecator procedure and am going to hope for the best.

I'm glad you feel much better and your confidence is back! It's kind of ridiculous how these small oil glands can affect someone's appearance, thus self esteem. At this point, I'm hoping that the procedure is even HALF successful (meaning even if not all of it goes away, that some of it goes away) and even if I have to do the procedures one-twice a year just to get even some of my confidence back, I will do so. I've stressed so much about it that I'm now beginning to lose my hair, which is another problem since I'm a female who had A LOT of healthy hair!

Please continue to update the results of your procedure and if you know of anyone else that tried something different.

The derma that performed the V-beam (pulse dye) laser was proposing the microlaser peel (deeper than chemical peel) but I'm a bit traumatized by the V-beam that I don't think I'll try another laser treatment until I know of someone who's had success in that type of treatment.

I can't express how helpful the info you provided is to me.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's